Saturday, October 27, 2007

Turkey & Pumpkin Chili

Turkey & Pumpkin Chili
Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free

Besides adding a sweet nuttiness, pumpkin's ready source of Vitamin A boosts the nutrition content of this offbeat chili recipe. Garnish each portion with a dollop of reduced fat sour cream and chopped cilantro.


Turkey & Pumpkin Chili
URL: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/soup-stew/chili_turkeypumpkin.html

Serves 6
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
2 jalapeños, ribs and seeds removed and minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound ground white or dark meat turkey
1 can (14.5 ounce) diced tomatoes
1 can (15 ounce) pumpkin
1 cup water
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 can (15 ounce) kidney beans, drained
Heat olive oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, jalapeno and garlic, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes until tender. Add turkey; cook until browned.

Add tomatoes with juice, pumpkin, water, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Add kidney beans, cover; stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.

Nutrition Info
Per serving (13 oz/377g-wt.): 370 calories (140 from fat), 16g total fat, 3.5g saturated fat, 29g protein, 30g total carbohydrate (9g dietary fiber, 6g sugar), 75mg cholesterol, 590mg sodium



2 comments:

Iwanawurkit said...

I actually thought wheat berries were a berry.....how crazy is that. How goes it? I can't imagine being a waitress and serving all the good smelling food. Is it tough for you? I just deal with paper and numbers and It is difficult for me.....Keep up the good work.
Kim

Chari said...

Hi Kim! I left a few notes in your blog some time ago, I didn't think you where active there anymore, I do see you post on 3fatchics. I am surfer376 over there.
I bring my own food to work so I am not tempted to do harm...lol. Congratulations on your re commitment to YOAD! Is your leg all better now? Thanks for stopping by , I look forward seeing your post and I will be stopping over to your blog!

Chari